Over the years, we have all read that the Mediterranean diet is good for us, and recently New England Journal of Medicine published the results of a five-year study by Spanish researchers, which seems to prove it. Approximately 7,500 participants who were at risk for diabetes, heart disease and hyper tension were followed for five years. Two Mediterranean diets - one with added extra virgin olive oil and the other with hazelnuts and almonds, was compared with a control group to study what effect the diet had on cardiovascular disease prevention. The effects of the Mediterranean diet with added oil and nuts were so positive that the study concluded early!
The researchers are concerned only with how the Mediterranean diet may improve the our health, and we think it tastes good, too. So, why not go Mediterranean and add a bit more olive oil, nuts, fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet? Not just because it's good for you, but it tastes so good, too!
Recipes and Information to Get Started
- A Short Article - Spanish Food - A Mediterranean Diet
- Spanish Mixed Green Salad Recipe - Ensalada Mixta
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Recipe
- Fruit Salad with Basil & Cheese Recipe - Ensalada de Fruta, Albahaca y Queso (pictured above)
- Book Review - Your Heart Needs the Mediterranean Diet
Photo © Lisa Sierra, licensed to About.com, Inc.