Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 lb dry pasta (bowtie, penne or other short shape)
- 4 oz (120 gr) pitted black olives, drained
- 4 oz (120 gr) pitted green olives, drained
- 2 heaping tsp (approx 30 gr) capers, drained
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 can (7 oz or 198 gr) tuna packed in oil
- 2 Roma tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 4 oz prepared pesto sauce
- 1 tsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
For this pasta salad, choose a short or small pasta shape, such as the bow tie or penne. Cook the pasta in boiling water (with a bit of oil) until "al dente," drain and cool. Then, cover and refrigerate while preparing the rest of the recipe.
Place black and green olives, capers, and fresh basil into a food processor and whirl until ingredients are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the dried oregano, pesto sauce, and fresh chopped parsley. Set aside until ready to mix into pasta.
Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized chunks. Drain oil and flake the tuna using a fork. Set tomatoes and tuna aside.
When the pasta is chilled, remove from refrigerator and toss to loosen. Add olive-caper mixture to pasta, and toss to mix in thoroughly. Add tomatoes chunks and tuna, and mix. Drizzle olive oil over salad and mix well. Salt to taste. Sprinkle a few whole olives over the top if desired.
This salad will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days if tightly covered. If salad looks a bit dry, "freshen" it up by drizzling a bit of olive oil over the top and tossing again, and optionally adding half a tomato, chopped.