Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Rising Time: 6 hours - to Overnight
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 18 Ensaimadas
- 25 oz (750 gr) white bread flour
- 3 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 10 fluid oz (300 ml) milk
- 4 large eggs
- 6 oz (180 gr) granulated sugar
- 7 oz (200 gr) vegetable shortening
- powdered sugar for decoration
Mix the yeast with lukewarm milk in a glass measuring cup until dissolved. Place half of the flour into a large mixing bowl. Gradually pour in the milk-yeast mixture while stirring. Mix until the ingredients form a dough.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot. Allow to rise until the dough has doubled in size, approximately 1 hour. The photo above shows the process of mixing and rising.
While the dough is rising, remove the eggs from the refrigerator to warm to room temperature.