Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 hours
Total Time: 35 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 dried red peppers pimientos choriceros
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs (1 kg) potatoes
- 1 lb (.5 kg) fresh tuna
- 4 cups (32 oz) water*
- salt, pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
* Some cooks prefer to use fish stock instead of water.
Pour water into a small sauce pan and heat on high. Before water boils, remove from heat. Place the dried red peppers into a sauce pan, making sure they are covered with water. Allow peppers to soak in water to rehydrate.
Finely chop the onion, pepper and garlic. Pour olive oil into a large pot or a deep, wide casserole. Pour in olive oil and sauté until onion, pepper and garlic until onion is translucent.
While the vegetables are cooking, peel potatoes and cut into cubes (approximately 1.5 inches or 4 cm). Add potatoes to vegetables and stir to coat potatoes. Cook 1-2 minutes.
Add enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer on low until potatoes just begin to soften.
While vegetables are cooking, remove red peppers from water and drain excess water. Carefully scrape the flesh from the skin using a teaspoon. Add peppers to the pot and stir to mix in thoroughly.
Rinse and pat dry tuna. Remove any skin, and cut into pieces about 2-2.5 inches.
Add tuna to pot and salt to taste. Cover loosely and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes, until the tuna is cooked.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Serve hot accompanied by crusty bread.
Typical Basque Tapas for First Course Dishes
- Bilbao Eels Recipe - Angulas a la Bilbaina
- Clams in Green Sauce Recipe - Almejas en Salsa Verde
- Easy Salmon with Hardboiled Egg and Mayonnaise Recipe
Typical Basque Main Courses
Below is a short list of the most typical main courses from the Basque Country.
- Tolosa Black Beans Recipe - Alubias Negras de Tolosa
- Basque Pepper Omelet Recipe - Piperrada con Huevos
- Cod with Pil Pil Sauce Recipe - Bacalao al Pil Pil