Green sauce is a classic Spanish sauce made with parsley and garlic, and sometimes a bit of white wine. In this recipe, fillets or rounds of salmon are cooked in a bit of olive oil. Flavorful, small manila clams are steamed separated. Then, both salmon and clams are combined in a simple green sauce with garlic. It is a quick, simple and elegant main course, quite typical of seafood dishes in northern Spain.
To accompany this dish, serve white rice or bread to soak up the flavorful sauce. Pair it with a light Spanish white wine, such as an albarino from Galicia or a txakoli from the Pais Vasco (Basque Country).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1-1 1/2 lbs (500-700 gr) salmon fillets or rounds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 dozen manila clams (1.25-1.5 inches across)
- 1-2 Tbsp (7-10 gr) flour
- salt to taste
- handful of fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley
In a medium saucepan, steam the clams in a 1/2 cup of water. Set clams aside for later, reserving water to use, as well. Clams should open. Discard any clams that do not open. (Do not eat them, since they can make you very ill.)
While clams are cooking, peel and finely chop the garlic. Chop parsley and set aside.
Pour olive oil into a large open frying pan, casserole or open clay pot. Saute the garlic over medium heat, careful not to burn them. Add flour to garlic and fry stirring continuously. Add a bit of the broth from the clams and a bit of water.
Add chopped parsley to the sauce, stir and bring to a boil. Salt to taste and remove from heat.
In a separate frying pan, pour in a tablespoon or two of olive oil and cook the salmon on both sides. When almost fully cooked, place salmon into the pan with the green sauce and add the clams. Bring to a boil and adjust salt.
Cover and turn off heat. Serve, spooning sauce over the top. Accompany with white rice.
More Spanish Clam Recipes
- Murcian Style Clams Recipe - Almejas a la Murciana - Clams in a Paprika and White Wine Sauce
- Clams a la Marinera Recipe - Almejas a la Marinera or Pescadora - Clams in White Wine and Garlic
- Spanish Fish and Clams in Garlic Wine Sauce - Fish and Clams with a Alioli-based Garlic and Wine Sauce
- Mushrooms with Clams Recipe - Setas con Almejas - Wild Mushrooms and Fresh Clams
- Clams in Green Sauce Recipe - Recipe for Almejas en Salsa Verde