Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 1 whole fryer, cut into pieces or 8-10 pieces of chicken
- 1/4 cup virgin Spanish olive oil
- 2 cups of white mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 large cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 2 peeled carrots, cut into large pieces
- 1 - 16 oz. can green peas, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
Remove excess fat and skin from chicken, rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. In a large, deep frying pan or skillet, heat olive oil and brown chicken for 5-7 minutes on medium high heat.
Add mushrooms, garlic, onion, carrots and sweet red pepper to pan and sauté until mushrooms are softened and onion is translucent, approximately 5 minutes on medium heat.
Add white wine to skillet and turn heat to high until broth boils, then reduce and simmer until chicken is cooked thoroughly and liquid is reduced a bit and thickens, 20-30 minutes. Check the pan while chicken is cooking and add more broth or water if necessary.
Just before serving, add green peas to pan and stir well. Serve with home-fried potatoes.
Note: Spaniards like to use their wonderful, crusty French-style bread to “mop up” the sauce.