Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Soaking Time: 24 hours
Total Time: 24 hours, 32 minutes
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) dried salt cod (preferably boneless)
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) (approximately) Spanish olive oil for frying
- 1 - 28 oz (828 ml) can crushed tomato
- unbleached white flour - enough to coat fish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 - 12 oz (354 ml) jar or can of roasted red peppers, sliced
The salted cod fish must be soaked in water for AT LEAST 24 hours, preferably 48 hours before cooking. This is necessary to leach out the salt. Change the water 2-3 times in a 24-hour period. If bacalao is not soaked, it will be so salty that it will not be edible!
Remove the fish from the water. Pat it dry with paper towels. Cut into 3-inch squares and set aside. Pour about a 1/4 cup of olive oil into a large, open frying pan on medium heat. Put flour onto a plate and dredge cod in flour. When the frying pan is hot, place the fish in the pan and brown fish lightly on both sides. Set aside.
Add the rest of the olive oil to the same frying pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the cod fish back into the frying pan and reduce heat. Add the sliced, roasted red peppers and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve with fried potatoes.