Brought to Spain by the Moors, the eggplant has become an essential ingredient in the Spanish kitchen. Eggplant is cultivated in warmer climates, from Andalucia, Valencia, Cataluna, Castilla-La Mancha, and Extremadura, to Murcia and the Balearic Islands. It is a versatile vegetable, which can be baked, fried, sautéed or grilled. Eggplant is used in sauces, pureed, sliced and grilled, or stuffed with meat and baked. There is such a variety of Spanish recipes for eggplants that they are served as a tapa, side dish, main course and even as a dessert!
This quick and easy eggplant tapa recipe requires very little cooking, and can be prepared ahead of time. Broiled eggplant slices are laid on slices of baguette, along with sun-dried tomatoes, lemon-infused oil and anchovy fillets.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 24 canned anchovy fillets
- 1 eggplant
- 2-3 Tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon-infused olive oil*
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
* Substitute extra virgin olive oil if lemon-infused oil is not available.
Place anchovy fillets into a sieve to drain excess oil.
Cut eggplant into rounds approximately 1/4-inch thick (6 millimeters). One medium globe-shaped eggplant should yield 12 slices. (If using the elongated Japanese eggplant, you may need two.) Brush both sides lightly with olive oil and place under broiler. When one side is slightly browned and soft when you press lightly, turn slices over, and return to broiler. Depending on your broiler, the distance from the pan, it may take 10-20 minutes to cook on both sides.
Cut baguette into 24 slices approximately 1/2-inch thick (12 millimeters) and spread slices on a platter. Cut eggplant slices in half and place on top of slices of bread. Drizzle lemon-infused oil over eggplant.
Place 2 to 3 pieces of sun-dried tomato on top of eggplant and drape an anchovy fillet on top.
Variation: If you prefer, lightly toast the slices of bread beforehand, to create a contrasting crunchy texture.
More Spanish Eggplant Recipes
- Spanish Eggplant Spread Tapa Recipe - Sauteed eggplant, garlic, green onions and olive oil whirled in a food processor. Spread on warm bread.
- Grilled Eggplant in Tomato Vinaigrette Recipe - Berenjena con Vinagreta - Grilled rounds of eggplant, topped with fresh tomato vinaigrette.
- Fried Eggplant with Molasses Recipe - Berenjena Frita con Miel de Cana - Slice, flour and fry eggplant rounds. Drizzle wtih "miel de cana" (sugar cane molasses) or honey.
- Eggplant with Anchovies and Cheese Recipe - Berenjena con Anchoa y Queso Fresco - Toasted bread is first spread with creamy, fresh cheese, which is then drizzled with a green sauce, eggplant and anchovy fillets.