Serve Suggestion: Pair with a light white wine, such as Txakoli or albarino.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 lb (.5 kg) raw mussels in shell
- 8 oz (250 ml) white table wine
- 1/2 large red pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 large onion (or 1 small onion)
- olive oil to sauté
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 sprigs flat leaf (Italian) parsley
- salt to taste
- 1 baguette
Clean mussels of debris, sand, etc. and rinse under cold water. Place in a medium sauce pan and pour half of the wine over the mussels, then add water until mussels are just covered. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until clams open. Remove from heat, and place mussels on a plate. Reserve liquid for later.
Finely chop onion and cut garlic in thin slices. Rinse parsley well and pat dry with paper towel, then finely chop. Pour enough olive oil to cover bottom of a large, deep frying pan and heat. When hot enough, sauté chopped onions, adding garlic after 3-4 minutes. When onions are transparent, reduce heat to medium low. Add the flour and fry. Slowly pour in wine and reserved liquid and continue stirring.
When mussels are cool enough to touch, separate the two parts of mussel, discarding the empty half.
Add mussels and simmer on low for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Adjust salt.
Sprinkle parsley into pan and stir. Arrange mussels on plate and spoon sauce over the top.
Serve with baguette slices, and white wine such as Txakoli or albarino.
More Spanish Mussel Recipes
- Marinated Mussels Recipe - Mejillones Escabechados - A tapa with an intensely flavored sauce of onion, wine, garlic and Spanish paprika
- Mussels in Tomato Vinaigrette Recipe - Mejillones en Vinagreta de Tomate - Mussels in Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette Sauce, an excellent choice of tapa for summer, but appropriate for any time of year
- Mari's Stuffed Mussels Tapa Recipe - Tigres de Mari - Mussels Stuffed onion, pepper, tomato sauce, breaded and lightly fried
- Paella de Marisco - Spanish Seafood Rice Recipe - Famous Valencian rice recipe chocked full of shellfish and vegetables