The Basque Country has always been famous in Spain for its' phenomenal cuisine. However, in the last two decades of the twentieth century, the culinary movement called the New Basque Cuisine, and the experimentation of "molecular gastronomy" thrust the region into the international spotlight. Even after all the attention that has been given to these radical cooking methods, traditional tapas, or pinchos (spelled pintxos in the Basque language) still fill the long counters and refrigerated display cases in bars and mesones of the region. Like much of the Basque cuisine, many of the pinchos are made from local fresh fish and seafood from the Cantabric Sea, or the quality meats, rich cheeses, and fresh vegetables from the inland mountains. These quality ingredients are prepared in a simple fashion, as is the Basque way.
Thinly sliced smoked salmon slices are laid atop pieces of baguette, then slices of hardboiled egg, a dollop of mayonnaise and a little tomato are added to complete the pincho. If preparing ahead of time, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 5 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, cooled
- 2 oz mayonnaise
- 12-15 small cherry tomatoes
Hard boil the eggs. After allowing to cool for 15 minutes in cold water, peel and slice lengthwise.
Cut baguette into 15, 1-inch slices, and lay out on a plate. Carefully remove each thin slice of salmon and cut each into a piece just large enough to fit on a baguette slice. Lay atop bread.
Carefully lay a slice of egg on top of salmon. Using a small teaspoon, place a dot of mayonnaise on each egg slice. Top each with a small cherry tomato. (If the cherry tomatoes are too big, cut in half, placing cut side down.) Traditionally, this tapa would be held together with a toothpick.
Variation: Some cooks like to decorate these pinchos with grated egg white. If you have an extra hard boiled egg, grate just the white using the part of a grater with small holes. It doesn't take much to decorate - just a pinch on top of each slice of egg!
More Simple Tapas
Prepare any of the simple Spanish tapas when you are short on time:
- Cod with Caramelized Leek and Orange Recipe-Bacalao con Pueros Caramelizados
- Shrimp-Stuffed Roasted Peppers Recipe - Pimientos de Piquillo Rellenos de Gambas
- Pimientos Rellenos de Atun - Red Peppers Stuffed with Tuna
- Eggplant with Anchovies and Cheese Recipe - Berenjena con Anchoa y Queso Fresco
- Fried Morcilla (Spanish Blood Sausage) with or without Sautéed Onion Slices
- Chicken, Tomato and Cheese Montados Recipe
- Eggplant, Chicken & Peppers Recipe - Montaditos de Berenjena, Pollo y Pimientos