Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 head Iceburg or Romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup green olives, stuffed with anchovies
- 1 can (approximately 15 oz) white asparagus
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced in long thin strips
- 1/4-1/2 yellow or red onion, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 6 oz can tuna, drained
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into quarters
- red wine or sherry vinegar
- extra virgin Spanish olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 15 oz can baby corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
This Spanish mixed green salad recipe 4-6 servings.
Hard boil the eggs. Allow to cool in cold water. Then, peel and cut into quarters, or slice in thick slices.
Cut the lettuce head in half. Rinse the lettuce under cold water and allow to drain. While lettuce is draining, cut the tomatoes. Peel and slice cucumbers and slice the red peppers. Grate the carrot.
Open the cans of the other ingredients and drain each one.
Break up the lettuce into small pieces for a salad. Make a bed of lettuce on a large platter. On top of the bed, place the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers and carrots. Then spread out the tuna around the bed of lettuce, breaking it up into small chunks with a fork first. Place the egg slices, asparagus, olives and baby corn ears and artichoke hearts on top.
Dress with oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt to taste.
Note: Don't worry if you are missing one of the ingredients! Each family in Spain has their own version of ensalada mixta, so it is slightly different in every household.