The Bottom Line
Legaris Reserva 2005, a Spanish tempranillo wine is smooth, full-bodied and rich on the palate, has a wonderful aroma of berries and dark fruits. It is a premium wine, perfect to pair with traditional Spanish roast lamb or beef.
This Spanish tempranillo wine is produced by Legaris S.L. in the Ribera del Duero D.O. (Denominacion de Origen) in northern Spain. Legaris winery is owned by the Codorniu Group, the oldest and largest producer of cava, Spanish sparkling wine. The modern, state-of-the-art winery was built between 1998-2000, and the vineyards were planted. Currently there are approximately 225 acres planted with mostly tempranillo grapes, and the balance are cabernet sauvignon.
An interesting note is that Legaris uses wooden casks from various origins and cooperages. According to the importer, Aveniu Brands (also a Codorniu Co.), "As many as 20 different types of barrels may be used to age Legaris wines," and this aging process is part of the "Legaris difference."
This wine is 100% Tempranillo (Tinta Fina), aged for 12 months in French Oak barrels, was not clarified, and is estate bottled. It is a full-bodied wine with a long finish.
- Aroma of Ripe, Red Fruit, with Spices
- Deep, Cherry Red Color
- Pair with Grilled or Roasted Red Meats, or Cured Cheeses
Because it is a premium wine, we recommend it for a dinner party, or to pair with heavy tapas.
When reviewing wines, we use a wine scale based on a 20-point scale originally developed at UC Davis, so that there is consistency to our reviews.
- Clarity: Brilliant, Crystal Bright
- Color: Typical for Type and Age
- Bouquet: Varietal, Complex, Flowery and Fruity
- Acidity: Balanced, Appropriate
- Sweetness: Appropriate, Balanced, Normal
- Body: Pleasant and Appropriate
- Flavor: Varietal, Complex and Mature
- Bitterness: Normal, Balanced and Appropriate
- Finish: Long-lasting, Appropriate for Age
- Quality: Charming, Stylish, Fine and Graceful
Notes: We prefer to use the standard traits and adjectives, rather than displaying the points. We believe that this provides the reader with more useful information about the characteristics of the wine. However, there are times we believe the wine falls between the standard "rankings" of a particular trait. So, to best describe it, we choose the adjectives from two rankings. For example, if the bouquet is in between being "Fruity, Pronounced, Developed" and "Clean, Pleasant, Scented, Delicate," we choose the adjectives from each set, which we believe best describe the bouquet.
The printable wine scale used in reviews, which you can use at your next wine tasting:
Price & Availability
- Price: Starting at $28.00/bottle.
- Available for purchase from a variety of internet wine shops.
- Imported to USA by: Aveniu Brands
- Winery Web Site: Legaris S.L. (English, Spanish & German Versions)
Disclosure: A review sample was provided. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.