The Bottom Line
Montebaco 2006 Vendimia Seleccionada is a Spanish tempranillo, reflective of the Ribera del Duero D.O. It is powerful and flavorful, and slightly mineral, making it a good wine to pair with a meal centered around a robust meat or pork main course.
This Spanish tempranillo wine is produced by Bodegas Montebaco in the Ribera del Duero D.O. (Denominacion de Origen) in northern Spain. Montebaco winery is family-owned. It is situated between the towns of Valbuena de Duero and Pesquera de Duero, at an altitude of about 2,500 feet, and is approximately 5 kilometers from the Duero River.
The Montebaco winery began in the mid-1980's on a family farm and cattle ranch with with planting of 20 hectares of tempranillo grapes. At present, the winery has 50 hectares of grapes in both the Ribera del Duero and Rueda D.O., including a small plot of verdejo grapes. The winery performs minimal clarification and filtration on its' wines, and no chemical products are used.
This wine is 100% Tempranillo (Tinta Fina), and is produced from especially selected grapes. According to the winery, the "Vendimia Seleccionada" is produced to achieve the maximum expression and personality of the Monte Alto ranch, and is aged for 13-18 months in barrels. According to the Montebaco website, each vintage of the Vendimia Seleccionada is made to reflect the personality of the winery, and the producers do not "look for continuity between vintages, nor limit our wine to a fixed varietal percentage." So, you may have a different tasting experience with a 2004 or 2005 vintage of the Vendimia Seleccionada.
- Aroma of Black and Red Berries with Mineral and Oak
- Dark Cherry Color with Purple Undertone
- Pair with red meats, pork and heavier tapas
When reviewing wines, we use a wine scale based on a 20-point scale originally developed at UC Davis, so that there is consistency to our reviews.
- Clarity: Clean, Clear
- Color: Nearly Correct, Attractive
- Bouquet: Pronounced, Fruity, Pleasant
- Acidity: Balanced, Appropriate
- Sweetness: Appropriate, Slightly Sweet
- Body: Smooth, Even, Pleasant
- Flavor: Fruity, Clean, Simple
- Bitterness: Normal, Balanced and Appropriate
- Finish: Tapering, Nearly Correct
- Quality: Charming, Skillfully Made, Sound
The printable wine scale used in reviews, you can use at your next wine tasting:
Notes: We prefer to use the standard traits and adjectives, rather than displaying the points. We believe that this provides the reader with more useful information about the characteristics of the wine. However, there are times we believe the wine falls between the standard "rankings" of a particular trait. So, to best describe it, we choose the adjectives from two rankings. For example, if the bouquet is in between being "Fruity, Pronounced, Developed" and "Clean, Pleasant, Scented, Delicate," we choose the adjectives from each set, which we believe best describe the bouquet.
Price & Availability
- Price: Between $30-40/bottle.
- Available for purchase from internet wine shops.
- Imported to USA by: Barterhouse, NYC, NY
- Winery Web Site: Bodegas Montebaco (English and Spanish Versions)
Disclosure: A review sample was provided. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.