The other main ingredient is Sidra, or "hard" apple cider, typical of the region of Asturias, Spain, and is slightly fizzy, low in alcohol. It is a popular drink all over Spain, especially in the summer months when a cold, refreshing glass of cider is welcome. However, warm Chorizo a la Sidra is served year-round.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2.2 lb or 8 Spanish chorizo sausages - fresh or semi-cured
- 1-2 cups (250-500 ml) Asturian cider or sidra
- 1 baguette
Important Note re Spanish Chorizo Sausage: This sausage is very different than Mexican or Caribbean chorizo. Spanish chorizo is a firm sausage, even when fresh or semi-cured, whereas most Mexican chorizo is fresh and soft sausage, which does not stay solid when cut. Mexican and Caribbean chorizo sausage has completely different spices, so neither are good substitutes for this recipe. If you need a substitute, use Portuguese Linguica sausage, which is very similar to Spanish Chorizo and should be easy to find in your local supermarket.
Place a large, heavy bottom frying pan on medium heat and pour in the Spanish cider. Place chorizo sausages in the pan. (If still tied together, separate first.) Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutesl Alcohol will evaporate and liquid will reduce.
Remove the chorizo sausages one at a time and cut into thick slices. Serve chorizo in the warm cider. Traditionally, this tapa is served in open clay dishes, as shown in the photo.
More Dishes from Asturias
- Asturian Bean and Sausage Casserole Recipe - Fabada Asturiana
- Asturian Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe - Ternera a la Asturiana
- Asturian Apple Fritters Recipe - Buñuelos de Manzana
- Frixuelos de Asturias Recipe - Asturian Crepes
- Asturian Cheesecake Recipe - Quesada Asturiana
- Rice Pudding Recipe - Arroz con Leche
More Chorizo Sausage Recipes
- Easy Fried Peppers, Garlic and Chorizo Recipe – Pimientos, Ajo y Chorizo Frito, side dish or tapa
- White Beans with Chorizo Recipe - Alubias Blancas con Chorizo
- Spanish Pork Loin and Chorizo Recipe – Lomo con Chorizo, a delicious main course
- Spanish Chorizo and Serrano Ham Pizza Recipe
- Cojonudos Recipe – Fried Quail Eggs with Chorizo or Morcilla, an easy tapa
- Riojana Potato Soup Recipe – Patatas Riojanas
- Easy Pasta in Chorizo & Tomato Sauce Recipe - Macaroni en Salsa de Tomate con Chorizo
- Eggs in Purgatory Recipe - Huevos en el Purgatorio
- Chorizo, Red Wine, Potatoes and Cabbage Soup Recipe