Brought to Spain by the Moors, the eggplant has become an essential ingredient in the Spanish kitchen. Eggplant is cultivated in warmer climates, from Andalucia, Valencia, Cataluna, Castilla-La Mancha, and Extremadura, to Murcia and the Balearic Islands. Eggplant is so versatile - it can be sautéed, fried, baked or grilled. It's often used in sauces, as well as pureed, sliced, or stuffed with meat and baked. There is a such a wide variety of Spanish recipes for eggplants that they are served as a tapa, side dish, main course and even as a dessert!
This quick and easy eggplant tapa recipe requires very little cooking, and can be prepared ahead of time. Broiled eggplant slices are laid on slices of baguette, along with fresh tomatoes, balsamic oil, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1/2 lb (250 gr) fresh mozzarella cheeese
- 1 eggplant
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz (125 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 24 slices of small to medium tomatoes
- 24 leaves fresh basil
- 1 baguette
Cut eggplant into rounds approximately 1/4-inch thick (6 millimeters). One medium globe-shaped eggplant should yield at least 12 slices. (If using the elongated Japanese eggplant, you may need two.) Brush both sides of eggplant slices lightly with olive oil and place under broiler. When one side is slightly browned and soft (press lightly), turn slices over, and return to broiler to brown other side. Depending on your broiler, the distance from the pan, it may take 10-20 minutes to cook on both sides.
While eggplant is browning, prepare the rest of the ingredients: Cut mozzarella balls into thin slices. Cut tomato into round slices. Cut baguette into 24 slices approximately 1/2-inch thick (12 millimeters) and spread slices on a platter. Cut eggplant slices in half and place on top of slices of bread.
Drizzle balsamic vinegar over eggplant slices, then place tomato slice and a basil leaf on top. Finish each montado with a slice of mozzarella.
Variation: If you prefer, lightly toast the slices of bread beforehand, to create a contrasting crunchy texture.
More Spanish Eggplant Recipes
- Spanish Eggplant Spread Tapa Recipe - Sauteed eggplant, garlic, green onions and olive oil whirled in a food processor. Spread on warm bread.
- Grilled Eggplant in Tomato Vinaigrette Recipe - Berenjena con Vinagreta - Grilled rounds of eggplant, topped with fresh tomato vinaigrette.
- Fried Eggplant with Molasses Recipe - Berenjena Frita con Miel de Cana - Slice, flour and fry eggplant rounds. Drizzle wtih "miel de cana" (sugar cane molasses) or honey.
- Eggplant with Anchovies and Cheese Recipe - Berenjena con Anchoa y Queso Fresco - Toasted bread is first spread with creamy, fresh cheese, which is then drizzled with a green sauce, eggplant and anchovy fillets.